yarn drunk

i love love love the wool/cotton blend i bought yesterday. it's floofy, it's soft, it has some of the elasticity and loft of wool, but doesn't overstretch because of the cotton. woo!

that said, i knitted like 4 inches of the conservative protuberances hat, then frogged it because on #10s, it's just a smidge too loose, and the cable pattern doesn't show well. so i'm going to try it on #9s.

i'm also going to learn the provisional cast-on for bella. well, i know how to do it in my brain, but i'm going to do it in real life today. the pattern calls for #7s to hit gauge. i always knit looser than gauge since i learned not to "yank the bitch" so tightly as i said when i was teaching mariamamama how to knit (woo! knitting: not just for grannies!). so i'm bringing my #5s if i come out way too big. it'd be groovy if i brought my #6s, but i only have those in straight, crappy aluminum needles.... i could conceivably do it on straight needles, but i lurrrrrve circs.

also, what's up with susan bates making circular needles that are almost exactly like addi turbos? not that i have a problem with that because they're $6 instead of $15, but whoa... however, i've only seen them in about 3 sizes in any given store.

for those of you who think this is like reading greek, i say: oh well. you gotta take the heather who's high on yarn with the heather who's loopy with the heather who's stressy with the heather who's punchy with the heather who's sad with the heather who's off the wall with the heather who's thoughtful. and just pray it's not all at the same time.

5 comments:

jay are Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:12:00 am  

GREEK!!!!
but heather fun and heather winter break so who cares

Anonymous Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:12:00 am  

Mmmmm...yarn...I'm making an afghan with some gigantic woolly stuff, and it's so fuzzy and cozy, it will be sad when I have to give it to my best friend for her birthday. But what better gift? Plus, when I'm done, I can go buy more yarn. :)

Are Bates needles really that good? Because Knitty complains about them...or rather, idolizes Addis. I don't have any of either at this point, as I'm waiting to see if I get a set of Denise Interchangeables for Christmas.

jay are Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:14:00 am  

I wish it wasn't Greek. My mom knits and she's making the most awesome-looking something. It's got beautiful colors and then every so often there's this row of fuzzy stuff. Greek for me, as you can see, but I know what I like when I see it, even if I can't speak the language.

Anonymous Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:40:00 am  

YANK THE BITCH!

Lisa Wednesday, November 23, 2005 11:50:00 am  

Oohhh, which ones? Which ones are like the addis? I have yet to jump off and buy me a pair, because I think.....koniibf - do I really want to spend $15 on a set of needles. Everyone tell me I should, but if I could find a similar set for 1/2 the price, I'd be all over that!

Is it the silvalume? silverado? which one? Tell me!

About this blog

erratically updated for food, yarn, or other nonspecified reasons