things that will always make me think of my dad, part 2

forgetting to eat dinner.

tonight i forgot to eat dinner. i've been doing this for the past month or so - also forgetting breakfast and lunch, hence my actually liking my ass in my new jeans - but i don't advocate that as a way to make friends with your ass.

anyhow, when i moved out of my parents' house at 18 for college (excepting one or two summers back with them) and every few weeks my dad would miss me too much for words.

so, every few weeks for the past 10 years he called me to make sure i had remembered to eat dinner. which seemed ridiculous to me as i hadn't starved to death yet and my body has an internal mechanism called "growly tummy" which does the same thing.

but since he died, i've not done well remembering to eat.

it's either because i miss him, or i'm still really sad.

3 comments:

jay are Tuesday, November 15, 2005 12:05:00 am  

first of all, I wish I could forget to eat a few meals.

and it sounds like maybe growly tummy started to depend on dad's call and now everything is out of order.

and I should say that it would be perfectly reasonable to still be really upset....

meals or no.

Yaymee Tuesday, November 15, 2005 1:03:00 am  

I know how you feel, Heather. Not that I ever skipped a meal after my dad died (hence my not-so-great relationship with jeans right now), but I definitely did unconscious things that related to him.

On a side note, I think I was an Italian grandmother in a past life, and your not eating is making me worried. I am gathering every ounce of willpower I have to not make you a casserole.

JillWrites Tuesday, November 15, 2005 11:14:00 am  

Oh gosh, and in the same conversation that I had with my friend about the push-ups, we were talking about her losing her dad last year. He always told her that her car ought to be junked. She bought a car with the money he left her, and she made sure it had a GPS. Because his car had a GPS. And the sound of the computerized voice that tells her when to turn and how far to go reminds her of him.

About this blog

erratically updated for food, yarn, or other nonspecified reasons