today

today is not the greatest day. the sinusitus is still romping inside my head. i did the incredibly sexy sinus rinse which makes lovely sounds, so i do it in the shower with the music busting. the migraine is back.

and today is the 9 year anniversary of my good friend summer "homer" austin's death... she was driving up to big bear, hit a patch of black ice in angelus oaks and went off the side of the mountain.

homer and i became good friends in 7th grade. in 9th grade some other people and i did something incredibly stupid to her that still makes me ashamed and was the pivotal point in my life where i decided that i wanted to treat everyone (regardless of how much i love or don't love them) with respect and kindness. she forgave me and we were really good friends throughout high school. once my mom told me in 11th grade that she had been talking to homer's mom and that homer had told her that i was one of the greatest friends she had ever had - which is still one of the most touching things anyone has ever said about me. she still makes me want to be a better person, a better friend in general. she taught me the value of forgiveness.

i don't think of her all that often anymore, but every january 6th i pause for a moment and am thankful that she was in my life for as long as she was and that she still makes me want to be the best person i can be.

3 comments:

Crystal Friday, January 06, 2006 6:19:00 pm  

what is a sinus rinse?

heatherfeather Friday, January 06, 2006 6:29:00 pm  

it's an incredibly sexy bottle that shoots warm saline water up your nose making you hack and gag, and also moisturizes nasal passages and washes out allergens and bacteria from the inside of your head. yum.

jay are Saturday, January 07, 2006 4:24:00 am  

wow. that was very touching. (not the part about the sinus rinse, tho.)

About this blog

erratically updated for food, yarn, or other nonspecified reasons