what a way to wake up

this morning, the beast woke me up for his morning wee-wee around 5:45 (thanks ernie).

i opened my eyes and my curtains were backlit with the most vibrant, amazing orange. it reminded me of when the grand prix fire was burning (like 3 blocks from my house) and the middle of the day was as red as the fiery flames of hell...opened the sixth seal...and the sun became as black as sackcloth, and the moon became as blood...

whoops, got distracted by biblical imagery there for a minute. however the grand prix fire was something to behold - my hair, clothes, pet were covered with ash. my roommate and i piled ernie in the car and drove him to my parents' house (they were on the other side of the freeway - the non-fire side). that saturday, the day i thought for sure we were going to be evacuated, i canceled all of my music therapy clients. one of the few times i've ever canceled clients for non-illness (the other was when someone slammed into my car at lunchtime)

for WEEKS my a/c in my car blew bits of ash and other particulates when it was first turned on. many people i know were evacuated. one of my dad's co-workers lost her house.

so i wondered if denver was on fire.

i put on enough clothes to let the dog out, and saw that it wasn't a fire. the goregeous, orange, fiery sunrise was being reflected in the underside of the fast, incoming cloud cover. the sky was orange, the light was orange, and within 2 seconds of stepping outside, the skies opened up and rained a heavy, spring rain. warm, with the smell of spring and summer rains.

if it weren't before 6 on a saturday morning, i totally would have tried to get pictures. but instead i went back to bed.

6 comments:

Unknown Saturday, April 15, 2006 4:45:00 pm  

Sounds like the perfect morning. I love the smell of rain.

heatherfeather Sunday, April 16, 2006 1:26:00 am  

then C@L is the perfect city for you, methinks.

Neal Sunday, April 16, 2006 1:33:00 am  

You just congratulated me for soaking in an amazing view and the discomfort that I endured to witness it all, then you are too tired to get a picture of an amazing sunrise. Classic.

Monstee Sunday, April 16, 2006 4:58:00 am  

Something like that happen to me too once.
Turned out to be villagers with torches.

littlegoat Sunday, April 16, 2006 1:29:00 pm  

Blernie didn't want you to miss it.

heatherfeather Sunday, April 16, 2006 1:54:00 pm  

neal, i never promised you a rose garden. while that statement is true, it's not quite related to the topic at hand. so it goes.

monstee, hopefully your lovely blue fur was not too singed in the incident.

littlegoat, blernie's good like that. if only he'd only wake me up at 6 on saturdays with lovely sunrises. instead he insists on peeing every morning, rain or shine. selfish dog...

About this blog

erratically updated for food, yarn, or other nonspecified reasons