liar, liar, socks on fire

i believe not that long ago, i publicly avowed to not be a sock knitter. i am full of lying, evidently. because i want to love the process. i love the yarn. and i kinda liked making these socks. i would have made them kneesocks if i had enough yarn (most pattern recommendations call for about 500 yards of sock yarn, i had 420ish, and i have calves the size of manhattan, clearly indicating that i did not have enough.)*

first socks 005

i finished my first actual pair of socks. i knit them at the same time, magic loooooooooooop style, in a toe-up (figure-8 cast-on) style, with a reverse dutch heel. (this is the point where chris' head implodes).

i took these pictures in a skirt, wearing maryjanes because this is how i see handknit socks proudly displayed on the internet. being new to the sock phenomenon, i'm doing my best to fit in. i even shaved my legs for you, people.

FO report
pattern:
none - toe-up stockinette socks, with a reverse dutch heel.
yarn: cherry tree hill supersock in peacock colorway
needles: US2 addi turbos, 40" circs
started: 10.24.06
finished: 10.31.06


so, the final consensus is that i didn't hate this. i do like tiny needles and tiny yarn, and even the process. part of my strong dislike is that i've had that knitpicks essentials for well over a year and have knit it 4-5 times and always frogged it. so maybe i need new yarn. darn... i have to buy new yarn?

bummer.

*seriously. they're huge. i have 9" ankles. i have 18" calves.

my calves are twice the size of my ankles. TWICE. THE. SIZE. while i like that i have shapely legs (woot!) i need some moderation with my overall dimensions.

i'm also knock-kneed, but that's neither here nor there.

4 comments:

Anonymous Wednesday, November 01, 2006 8:52:00 pm  

gasp! Is that variegated yarn I see? Lovely socks. I need to knit me some of those suckers.

Cathi Thursday, November 02, 2006 10:42:00 am  

Love 'em (crap, I had a better comment, but forgot it in the time it took the comment page to load. Need. More. Coffee.).

What kind of shoes are those, btw? I need some nice MJs.

Anonymous Wednesday, November 08, 2006 10:58:00 am  

that sock yarn is too pretty. i'm gonna go looking for a skein to have for myself now.

great pics. and your shoes are too cute!

Willie Baronet Thursday, November 09, 2006 3:10:00 pm  

Congrats on the socks. And the legs!

About this blog

erratically updated for food, yarn, or other nonspecified reasons