if the devil don't dance, heaven won't shine

yesterday, i wore a funny hat, polyester dress, and a white hood (really? i had to wear a white hood?) and wandered around the floor of the hockey arena

graduation
see me?

i wore shoes that were hurty, i shook hands with a chancellor and some deans, my face was on a jumbotron. i met the family of my friends who have saved my sanity over the past 2 years, i introduced my family to them. i went out to dinner with my mom, my sister and aunt.

michelle, mom, me, jeanie

i am truly blessed by wonderful friends, by amazing family. and my mom remembers everything. for instance, she remembers that when i was little i said i wanted musical instruments for major life occasions - specifically that i wanted a piano for a wedding gift. i am not engaged.

but i finished grad school yesterday. so my mom stepped absolutely outside of her comfort zone, and had been working with some people at the denver folklore center to give me the instrument i'd been quietly wanting for 6-7 years.

fretboard heart mcspadden pegs tuners
highlights for children

i actually cried when i opened it. not a lot, just a little. and played it in the fancy pants restaurant where we were dining. which seemed fitting - it has strings, we were at strings. it's so instinctive for me to play it. it sounds frighteningly like bagpipes when you play "amazing grace" with the slide.

i came home and fidgeted with it for a long time... i love it. it's exactly the one i wanted - cherry back and top, linked a few months ago with little fanfare. my momma rocks...
mountain dulcimer

today i wish i lived in north carolina.

edit: it's a mountain dulcimer. :)

17 comments:

The Grunt Saturday, June 10, 2006 1:27:00 pm  

Congrats on becoming a Slacker With an Advanced Degree! You can thank Thomas for alerting us.

-J Saturday, June 10, 2006 1:49:00 pm  

Congrats on becoming a Slacker With an Advanced Degree! You can thank Thomas for alerting us.

(Yes, I just copied and pasted that. Yes, I'm a slacker.)

Ashley Saturday, June 10, 2006 2:01:00 pm  

congrats!!

that's a pretty instrument...what is it called? I like it. I love the hearts on it too :)

Anthony S. Saturday, June 10, 2006 2:26:00 pm  

Congratulations, Heather. Welcome to the club. Now pull up a couch.

inseattle Saturday, June 10, 2006 2:31:00 pm  

congrats--i now wish i had been there. please send me a recording of you playing your new instrument. love you!

Unknown Saturday, June 10, 2006 5:58:00 pm  

Congratulations! Does your degree say "Official Smarty Pants" - - or something even smarter sounding?

particleman Saturday, June 10, 2006 8:30:00 pm  

mazal tov!! welcome to the world of the jaded and grad-iated (i have yet to arrive myself...). the dulcimer is beautiful. i'm so happy you finally got one. ditto on the recordings. i wanna hear it!

Just Josh Saturday, June 10, 2006 10:54:00 pm  

Congratulations Heather!!! Student loans ROCK!

jay are Sunday, June 11, 2006 2:31:00 am  

CONGRATS!!
And what an awesome gift from such a great mom. A dulcimer...that's pretty cool. And pretty impressive that you play it. I would want one just for the cool factor--to hang up and say "lookee here" but to be able to play one too!! Neato bandido.

Nessa Sunday, June 11, 2006 7:43:00 am  

Congratulations on your graduation.

Beautiful dulcimer.

I love Amazing Grace on bagpipes. It's my most favorite song in the world.

Rob Sunday, June 11, 2006 8:14:00 am  

Congrats Heather. Hey, nice dulcimer....ooh. that almost sounds dirty..heehee

Steve Sunday, June 11, 2006 8:35:00 am  

Congratulations!

I'm so happy for you. It's always nice to be done. I hope all goes well for you! Let me know if you need anything, I know people. Nobody of any consequence, but I know people. I can get you a free lunch at the McDonald's in Lakewood Washington!

Just Josh Sunday, June 11, 2006 11:20:00 pm  

Aren't Bright Eyes GREAT?!

inseattle Sunday, June 11, 2006 11:32:00 pm  

love the new tagline, btw

littlegoat Monday, June 12, 2006 1:16:00 pm  

Yes!

Done!

And what a great mommy you have. (:

Jay Tuesday, June 13, 2006 11:06:00 am  

Wow! Congratulations Heather!! Are you planning on going back to the UN and get us out of the mess we're in? 'cuz that would be super. :-)
And you have the best momma in the world! How cool was that?

Cathi Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:17:00 am  

Congratulations! What a wonderful time!

About this blog

erratically updated for food, yarn, or other nonspecified reasons